Assistant State Attorney
he Florida Constitution vests the State Attorney with the sole and sound discretion to conduct grand jury proceedings, perform criminal intake, and prosecute crimes committed against the people of the State of Florida.
Do you want to learn how to try a case and become a trial lawyer?
The State Attorney’s Office for Florida’s Fourth Judicial Circuit invites you to apply for the position of Assistant State Attorney. Our office is responsible for the prosecution of all crimes committed in Duval, Clay, and Nassau counties. We employ over 110 prosecutors and handle over 55,000 cases annually.
We are seeking Assistant State Attorneys who have good judgment and share the office’s mission to ensure that justice is pursued in a transparent, fair, and thoughtful way that maintains the trust of those we serve. We are committed to public service, keeping people safe by prosecuting those who disrupt our community, and protecting the rights of victims.
Our new attorneys receive hands-on training covering all aspects of prosecution; shadow an experienced prosecutor prior to taking over cases; and receive a comprehensive New Attorney Manual specific to the Fourth Circuit. Training and mentoring are provided by our most experienced prosecutors.
Applicants must have a strong interest in courtroom litigation, with excellent communication and critical thinking skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct jury trials, non-jury trials, preliminary and pretrial hearings, and other related courtroom proceedings
- Investigate, evaluate, and prepare cases for trial
- Communicate with victims, their family members, witnesses, and law enforcement
- Manage a high-volume caseload
- Conduct legal research and writing
- Take depositions; interview witnesses, victims, and other parties to ascertain facts of a case for prosecution
- Examine and cross-examine of witnesses, defendants, and victims
- Summarize cases for presentation for jury and non-jury trials
We offer the opportunity for driven applicants to grow their skills and gain trial experience.
The following applicants will be considered:
- Members of the Florida Bar in good standing;
- Law school graduates that have taken the Florida Bar Exam and are awaiting results; or
- 3L students from an accredited law school; preference may be given to those qualified as a Certified Legal Intern
Salary & Benefits
Current entry-level annual salary for assistant state attorneys is $55,000.00. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Low-cost health insurance plan options (Could be as low as $10 for individual coverage and $30 for family coverage)
- State paid disability and life insurance policies
- Supplemental insurance plans including dental, vision, hospitalization, and more
- Automatic enrollment in the Florida Retirement System in the Senior Management Class
- Paid State and county holidays
- Paid vacation and sick leave accrued on a monthly basis
- Qualifying employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Florida Tuition Waiver program
- Additionally, upon Legislative approval, Florida Bar dues are paid by the Agency each year
The SAO4 is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace. It complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA).